Faculty Who Lost Jobs for Expressing Unpopular Views (and in some cases offensive views but views protected by the first amendment.)
https://x.com/JeffreyASachs/status/2079921644626137237
Post
Conversation
I was recently challenged to produce examples of profs who faced significant punishment for having views (or were perceived to have views) critics associated with conservatism. The implication was that these examples don't exist.
I'll give you an incomplete list in a sec, but...
...first, I want to tell you why it is incomplete (beyond just my own lack of effort). For the skeptics, I think it will be eye-opening.
1. It's just focused on the US, but the same thing was happening in the UK and Canada too.
2. It's just from the last few years (~since 2015).
3. It's just those who've lost their jobs, either through termination or effective dismissal, e.g. not having their contract renewed despite very good reasons to suppose it otherwise would be. So we're not including suspensions, demotions, and other forms of punishment.
4. It's just those those we can be reasonably certain were due to their (perceived) political speech or activities. I've tried to stick to those whose claims were either vindicated in court or otherwise proven true. No doubt there are far, far more we don't know about.
No comments:
Post a Comment